Torsten Curdt wrote:
<snip/>

> If we announce SAP support for Cocoon I bet people will be using it.
> Using brings complains, bugfixes and finally maintainance. IMHO this
> is no big problem.

If I cannot test it myself, I would be very suspicious of having it in
our repository.

> If people really don't use it - it's just another component in our CVS.
> ...like maybe others that are rarely used;)

Which is also a problem IMHO. Making them into "blocks" helps in not
making Cocoon tied to non-healthy components.
not used (which could also be "used - but no given feedback since it works") doesn't necessarily mean non-healthy, don't you think?
Actually IMHO no. If a component doesn't have people that overlook it, that means advance in the development, and no feedback from users, which means that in this non-perfect world it's not used, then it's not a healthy component. In opensource user testing is vital in keeping the system working.

> So I don't really see anything besides the licence issue.
>
> Altough it is the question whether it's worth the risk getting into
> trouble because of a non-Apache licence for code that *maybe* isn't
> even used by many people...
>
> But I think: either the licence is
> a) ok -> let's include it
> b) not ok -> ask the author to modify the licence or host it somewhere
> else

The code has to have a license grant for Apache. We are talking about an
important *donation* in *code*, not a jar we use.
Sorry for not being precise - I was aware of that...
...though I am not quite sure what I actually really means.

Will donated files always have a Apache licence header plus the comment of the donation. Or is it also possible to have different licence header?
Apache code is licensed with the Apache license. Current version is 1.1
Any additional credit in the license is (IANAL) to be decided by the board of Apache.

I think that this SAP feature is *very* *very* important, but I'm
concerned over how we would maintain it. I would like to know it there's
a way in which we can actually have that code tested.
Well, I do have the necessary jar to compile it but I cannot really test in real life. But I am pretty sure we sooner or later gonna have a committer that will have a testing environment... until that we can mark it as unstable block and wait for user feedback.
Hmmm... I'd prefer to wait till we actually have this testing in place, or someone actually actively cares for it in Cocoon. Michael said he's working on it, let's wait and see what he proposes. My impression is that it will address these issues.

It's not that I don't want dead code in Cocoon, it's that I want live code! See it from the positive side :-)

--
Nicola Ken Barozzi [EMAIL PROTECTED]
- verba volant, scripta manent -