On Tue, 25 Mar 2003, J.D. Daniels wrote:

> > > So I whould like a solution there we offer a source distribution, and
> > > binary distribution with a war, which includes all samples, and one
> clean
> > > war. So the user can first download the bin-dist, test all samples,
> > > and experimentalize with the clean webapp. And then he is glad and want
> > > more, he can download the source-dist.
> >
> > I'm still strongly in favor of a single distribution with a very simple,
> > short yet very well documented INSTALL.txt file.
> >
> > Stefano.
> >

> I definately agree with Stefano here. Here is an example of usage:
>
> My background is PHP. Been writing php applications for quite awhile. Takes
> me maybe 15 minutes to hack a personalized form for client's feedback. Now I
> want to update this client's info to an xml application so I can do some
> advanced stuff with his data. (Say a real estate agent wants to go through
> all of his Market evaulations he gets from his website)
>
> So I need cocoon.. It is the perfect framework.
>
> I download a binary.... do the samples war thing.. COOL look at this xml
> form thingy.. way better functionality than i get with php.
> ok... install the clean war...
> hmmm... look at this empty sitemap (Which as a newbie, I am struggling with
> as it is)
> ok back to the samples..... ah xml form howto -- Perfect!!
> oh.
> HowToAction.java .. hmmmm ok
> now i need to compile it with my form handler...
> now I am using the source.
>
> We end up here anyway.. lets skip all that crap...
>
> See where I am going here? This is what (IMHO) most of new cocoon users are
> like. We are experienced developers..... but chances are we won't be java
> aware.... so the idea of two extra binaries will, i think slow down the time
> it takes to get productive.
>
> Sorry for yapping so much on the dev-list, but i think this is really
> important :)

No no, it's very useful. Maybe I'm wrong :-/ I only want to prevent
that users be scared by the installation, which takes sometimes a lot of
time and knowledge. I'm, for example, very impatient, if some software
takes too much time, or too many dependencies just for the first look,
then I throw it away.

Stephan.