Von: Vadim Gritsenko [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Gesendet: Montag, 21. Januar 2002 16:42
An: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Betreff: RE: Cocoon on a read-only medium

> From: Robert Koberg [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

CD
> > > applications to customers?
> >
> > It's relatively easy to put together autorun and have CD started
> > automatically, with no installation steps required. Only thing you
need
> > from the customer machine is the free IP port (8080 or any other).
You
> > can even put Perl on the CD and have some startup/shutdown scripts.
>
> Are there any licensing problems distributing these software on CD?

Don't know - I do not distribute and I'm not a lawyer. Assuming that all
software included either apache-style license, or Sun's JDK license
(Binary Code License Agreement), or Resin license (free for
non-commercial use), I'm quite sure that there is no reason to have a
license issue unless you sell these CDs.

Here is excerpt from Sun's license:
-----------------------------------
2. License to Distribute Software. Subject to the terms and conditions
of
this Agreement, including, but not limited to Section 4 (Java (TM)
Technology Restrictions) of these Supplemental Terms, Sun grants you a
non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to reproduce and
distribute the Software in binary code form only, provided that (i) you
distribute the Software complete and unmodified and only bundled as part
of, and for the sole purpose of  running, your Programs, (ii) the
Programs
add significant and primary functionality to the Software, (iii) you do
not
distribute additional software intended to replace any component(s) of
the
Software, (iv) you do not remove or alter any proprietary legends or
notices contained in the Software, (v) you only distribute the Software
subject to a license agreement that protects Sun's interests consistent
with the terms contained in this Agreement, and (vi) you agree to defend
and indemnify Sun and its licensors from and against any damages, costs,
liabilities, settlement amounts and/or expenses (including attorneys'
fees)
incurred in connection with any claim, lawsuit or action by any third
party
that arises or results from the use or distribution of any and all
Programs
and/or Software.

Vadim