thanks for your prompt reply, Vadim. i apologize for my poor choice of
words (and i call myself a WRITER! sheesh!).

by "incoming" i meant "sauntering gaily down the pipeline". for example,
i want to take "kazoo.xml", a static file lurking on my disk, slurp it
with a FileGenerator, and then mess it about with some Java logic -- but
(so far) i haven't found a way to do that.

OTOH, you've shown me a useful technique for other applications, so
merci encore.

rw