Hi guys,

I'm a collegue of Patrick.

Thanks for your answer Stephan.

Our actual configuration is:

in catalina.sh:

  CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms100m -Xmx450m"

(we will also try the combination that you suggest, Stephan)

in each of the three cocoon instances under tomcat, the files cocoon.xconf
contains:

  <store-janitor class="org.apache.cocoon.components.store.StoreJanitorImpl"
logger="core.store.janitor">
     <!-- How much free memory shall be available in the jvm -->
     <parameter name="freememory" value="20000000"/>
     <!-- Indicates the limit of the jvm memory consumption. The default max
     heapsize for Sun's JVM is 64Mb -->
     <parameter name="heapsize" value="430000000"/>
     <!-- How often shall the cleanup thread check memory -->
     <parameter name="cleanupthreadinterval" value="10"/>
     <!-- Indicates the thread priority of the cleanup thread -->
     <parameter name="threadpriority" value="5"/>
     <!-- How much percent of the elements of each registered Store shall
     be removed when low on memory. Default 10% -->
     <parameter name="percent_to_free" value="10"/>
  </store-janitor>

The error that we get is neither an outofmemory nor an exception, the jvm just
stops working. Then the user gets an Proxy error message (something like page
not reachable).

When you stop the process of tomcat and then start it again, every goes fine
till the next time.

I don't think this kind of problem is a bug in the code (but I want to
investigate further on it :)

Do you have some ideas?

Do we have to create a single instance of cocoon under tomcat and separate it
on more then one machine?

Does the sum of the parameter values (freememory, heapsize and so on) of the
three instances must be less then the values in the catalina.sh?

Thank you very much for you help guys.

Regards,

pino