Ok,

I commented out the hsqldb stuff and this error has gone away - but I can't
get PostgreSQL to work correctly.

I've created the sample DB and modified cocoon.xconf:

  <datasources>
    <jdbc name="personnel">
      <pool-controller min="5" max="10"/>
      <auto-commit>true</auto-commit>
      <dburl>jdbc:postgresql:testdb</dburl>
      <user>unknown</user>
      <password></password>
    </jdbc>
  </datasources>

and Web.xml contains:

 <init-param>
      <param-name>load-class</param-name>
      <param-value>
        org.postgresql.Driver
      </param-value>
    </init-param>

and pgjdbc1.jar (containing org.postresql.Driver) is in Tomcat/common/lib and
I have created the sample tables in testdb within PostgreSQL.

Help appreciated.