I appreciate the quick and thoughtful response, Pete.  I changed
cocoon.xconf to use an interpreted sitemap, and succeeded only in making
a change in the error received.  It still is asking for libXp.so, but is
now buried in other errors.

I captured the error from my development server and posted it on my web
server here:

http://www.hoegg.net/error/cocoon-problem.html

It seems to me that there is something fishy about the headless awt
support in 1.4.0 when using Batik.  Is anyone successfully running
Cocoon2 this way?

As a side note, just wanted to say I am a new user of Cocoon and am
looking forward to this approach to dynamic web development.  Thanks to
all the developers for a great framework.

Thanks again,
Ryan Hoegg