----- Original Message -----
From: "Vegan Portal" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 11:25 PM
Subject: Re: sexy open source

> --- Johann Romefort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> schrieb: > I am really happy with SAP-DB / Castor for
> RDBMS
> > Persistence
> Sorry Johann, that I forgot to reply you before, but
> this way is very interesting for sure!
> AFAIK (without checking it out right now), SAP-DB
> quite new, but probably very evolved RDBMS on open
> source scene, coming from famous SAP company and
> getting real good response in the last time. It may be
> (regarding features) compared to PostgreSQL (with
> clear open source roots) or Firebird (previously
> Borland's Interbase, with very complicated history and
> even more complicated future).

Well, SAP-DB also has a quite complicated history, and
was known before as ADABAS. From my personal
experience it is the most professional free RDMS that
I've ever used (I had more or less happy experiences
with postgreSQL, Interbase and Mysql). I found that
SAPDB server and tools are far more matured than its
open-sources competitor.

>I'm very open to give
> SAP-DB a try, if the JDBC driver is easy to integrate
> into Cocoon or JBoss and free DB management IDE
> exists.

yes, there is a pure java JDBC2 driver, and you get a
Win32 Database Administration Tool, a Win32 SQL
Studio tool (some interesting features includes visual
SQL query composition). About Cocoon I successfully
used the ESQL stylesheets with SAP.

>Any hints from you are highly appreciated.
> Regarding Castor, my understanding (most probably
> wrong) is that it is a tool to marshall/unmarshall XML
> to Java and back.

Castor provides you with XML / Object mapping framework,
with a JDO (not Sun JDO compatible )part which take OQL
query and return Objects based on a mapping file (which can
be marshalled as XML), with XMLSchema -> Java Source
Generator, and finally with LDAP access with the integration
of the DSML standard.
So I use it like a glue between all my Data Objects, my DB
and my XML stuff.

>I'm little uncertain about its role
> inside Cocoon framework (perhaps to serve as DB access
> tier without using poorly managed ESQL from Cocoon?).

Well my application is composed of mainly two parts:
The first part is the Tomcat/ Cocoon2 machinery
The second part is an RMI server running all the workflow of the
application and for intance the RDBMS access layer.
So, simplifying a bit, my Cocoon frontend lookup my RMIServer
in an XSP page, then send the request to the RMI server, which
in return invokes the Castor stuff which return data objects back.
These objects are then marshalled as XML inside an XSP page
and incorporated in the current XML stream. Then I apply
the XSL stuff and render the HTML.
The only thing with CastorJDO is that the community is moving
quite slowly. Anyone who have some experience with other
JDO frameworks (OJB, Hibernate ) ?

Johann

ps: (I'll be away for two days, so I'll get back to your comment on
saturday)