>> > 2) Programming language
>> > Proposal: pure Java 1.3.1x
>> 1.4 is better IMHO.
>Well, it should be, but I've seen several people here
>reporting problems already with Cocoon alone, not to
>mention other components. Maybe these are minor and
>because many people are on it, 1.4 is really way to
>go. Should it try it out today? What version of Cocoon
>to take?

Java 1.4 works fine with C 2.0.3

>> > 5) Web container
>> > Proposal: Jetty as JBoss service
>> More people are familiar with Tomcat.
>Me too! Just that ... JBoss doesn't like it that much.
>Again, fault of using JBoss at all?

JBoss works fine with Tomcat we use JBoss 2.4.4 with Tomcat 4.0.4. Start
with the integrated build, copy the newer Tomcat on top of the Catalina
directory.

>> > 8) Web frontend
>> > Proposal: Apache
>> Not needed.
>Is configuring Tomcat secure enough for example in
>case of DoS attacks?

Apache is probably reasonable for a production environment.  In particular,
for serving static content it would be better than Tomcat.