I did a hack because as you say currently the examples only work for a particular
"url"/file/resource.

I actually pass the resource given to me and store it within the login page as a
hidden field.  When the user submits username, password/etc this will come along too.

Then if authenticated i redirect to that "resource" using "request:resource".  This
retrieves the resource parameter from the http request parameters object and off you
go.

My redirect looks like this, e.g.
<map:redirect-to url="cocoon:/?action={request:resource}">

This then will work for any page in the site that you want protected.

Note that I don't point to url's rather I have a single URL (the cocoon servlet and my
app).  cocoon:/ helps to establish that.  I use action id's much like struts (I guess
but the concept has been around much longer than struts.) pointing into metadata to
help distinguish what page to show.

But whether you use action id parameters or file url's this work.

later, md