On Sat, Jan 25, 2003 at 06:26:42AM +0100, Robert Simmons wrote:

> [...]

rendering. If you see HTML, Cocoon is rendering.

> What would you use if you didnt embedd the stylesheet into the XML? Oh,
> I get it, the pipeline tells it what transform to make ?

Yes.  In the sitemap you'd have a pipeline like:

<map:match pattern="foo.html">
  <map:generate src="foo.xml"/>
  <map:transform src="foo2html.xsl"/>
  <map:serialize type="html"/>
</map:match>

> Addendum: I undeployed cocoon from jboss and the transform still
> worked. Must be the browser doing it. OOK .. =)

:) What was the URL you were using?  Did it start with 'http:' or
'file:'?

> Now I feel like i actually know LESS than before.
>

> > > When I go to the URL inside the war and hit the XML page, the
> > > translation is made fine.
> > >
> > > Ok so here is the question. I am now thinking of doing something a bit
> > > more than static XML pages. What would be the bare minimum? Do I have
> > > to copy the cocoon war and all the libs in it to another deployment or
> > > can I use the jars already deployed in the war?
> >
> > Each war has one main sitemap.  Each sitemap can have lots of different
> > pipelines.  Where did the 'second war file' you mention come from?  Did
> > you copy the sitemap and WEB-INF/cocoon.xconf from the Cocoon samples
> > war?
> >

> What I mean is that, if possible, I dont want to copy the whole MASSIVE
> jar library in the cocoon distribution war into every blasted web app
> that I create.

There's lots of jars but most of them aren't big.  I have lots of webapps
with ~8mb of jars in their WEB-INF/lib.  What you lose in disk space, you
gain in webapp portability.

But if you really want a common set of jars, you can put them in Tomcat
4.x's lib/common/ directory.

> The thing thats stumping the newbie here is how a user
> uses it. It almost seems like i have to be practically a dveloper on
> cocoon to use it. I honestly dont care how it works, I just ultimately
> want to write come generators that smack a EJB and spit out XML that
> then gets transformed. Basically what i have right now is a normal java
> servlet that builds a dom document, serializes it to xml and trusts the
> xsl transform to put out the html and so on. The servlet has a massive
> number of methods from all the commands being handeled. I want to nuke
> that servlet and instead write cocoon generators to spit out the xml
> and then let cocoon do its magic. However after 12 hours of reading, Im
> still a tad lost.

<wet blanket mode>
Cocoon is big and complex (as you've found out).  Assuming all you want
to do is an XSLT transform on the end of your servlet, and this is a
once-off job, I'd suggest just using a JSP taglib or something to query
the servlet and transform the result.  Some simpler alternatives to
Cocoon:

http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/standard-doc/intro.html
http://jakarta.apache.org/taglibs/doc/xtags-doc/intro.html
http://mav.sourceforge.net/
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/sandbox/jelly/

Also, remember you can make a single servlet *appear* to have multiple
URIs (one per command) with web.xml <servlet-mapping> sections and
request.getPathInfo().

</wet blanket mode>

If you want a gentle introduction to Cocoon, you could download Forrest:
http://xml.apache.org/forrest/  (essentially 'pre-packaged' Cocoon for
project docs).  Once installed,
you type:

mkdir myproj
cd myproj
forrest seed     # Generates a template project, with sitemap
forrest webapp   # Generates a webapp from your template project
forrest run      # Runs webapp in a webserver

Then view the Cocoon site at http://localhost:8888/, and you can
experiment with the sitemap in build/webapp/sitemap.xmap.

> > Fortunately we have a Wiki where anyone can document things.  This
> > page looks quite relevant to your question:
> >

> I will read it ... but I have to say that this looks liek a very
> powerful front end that once you know it, it is great. Prior to that
> there is ALLOT of head scratching. And I dont think im any lightweight
> at programmign either.

It's like a sledgehammer.. big, powerful, not suitable for all problems.

--Jeff