I use the following in Tomcat 4.1.17 and have been swapping Actions in and out without any real problems. My server is Debian Linux on a 1GHz Athlon w/ 256MB RAM (not even approaching the high end) and reloading usually takes less than five seconds for me...and I think that's just mostly sitemap reloading. I have never seen anything even remotely like 30 seconds. Are you switching out jar files or just classes. Jar files I think require context reloading, but files in WEB-INF/classes should show up immediately.

I can't speak to JBoss3 though although, if memory servers, most of the Tomcat configuration items are still available -- just as jndi and jmx resources instead of XML configs.

The war file is unpacked in /var/local/www/docroot (WEB-INF and the root sitemap.xmap is directly under docroot but are not publically readable) and is set up to run as the default context (not under a /cocoon URL).

Note to casual readers: do not put this configuration on a production server!

<Context className="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext"
cachingAllowed="true"
charsetMapperClass="org.apache.catalina.util.CharsetMapper"
cookies="true"
crossContext="false"
debug="0"
displayName="Cocoon2 Demo"
docBase="/var/local/www/docroot"
mapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContextMapper"
path=""
privileged="false"
swallowOutput="false"
useNaming="true"
wrapperClass="org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapper"
reloadable="true"/>

Geoff Howard wrote:

You'll need an expert on classloading in cocoon to answer that I think. As
far as I know, it's not possible currently to have cocoon reload a class
without restarting cocoon. Actually I should say I've never seen that
ability,
it may well be there.

Setting tomcat to reload the context works well for me in development -
doesn't
take horribly long (~30 seconds i think?). I think the fact that tomcat is
in
JBoss is what's making it hard. I was just looking at JBoss again last
night
and saw that 3.x has some ability to reload specific resources?

Geoff