I am a technical writer learning to use Cocoon. I have read the FAQs and done Google searches for an answer to this question (which doesn't mean that it is not out there somewhere, of course).

I have installed Cocoon and experimented with it somewhat successfully and would like to begin building and deploying a webapp that will create dynamic documentation.

I am creating my project on a Linux box on a home network, and will deploy to a Web server on the Internet.

I would like to keep the full Cocoon installation (2.0.3 on Tomcat 4.1.18) on my home box, but don't particularly want to burden my hosting provider with all of the samples, documentation, and other overhead of the full install.

I am confused after reading about setting up a development environment and deploying webapps.

I have created multiple Cocoon instances, but am not sure this is the best way to do it. The reason I say this, is that when I access localhost/cocoon I see the directory page; but when I access localhost/cocoon_dev (the second instance, set up with intentions of creating a Cocoon instance with minimal overhead for my webapp) I get a 404 error. This tells me that something is amiss (I think).

Another method I have read says that the way to do it is to create a webapp directory within the cocoon/mount directory and use a subsitemap.

OK. But when I deploy from my local (home network) machine to my provider's machine (on the Internet) I will have to create a new sitemap that references whatever components the webapp requires. Maybe this is no big deal to experienced Cocoon developers/users but it seems like an opportunity for a lot of confusion and extra work.

What is the best practice for this that allows the most hassle-free deployment with the least opportunity for breaking the webapp in moving it from local machine to host machine?

You may reply off-list if you like and I will post whatever works for other newbies.

As always, let me know if I have left out information that would be helpful in understanding the question, and I will provide it. Or, if there is a link that explains this, that would be fine, as well.

Thanks.

Joe