I am also a Newbie but, having the same outlook as yourself I think I
understand what you want...

<snip/>

>I have created multiple Cocoon instances, but am not sure this is the best
way to do it. The
>reason I say this, is that when I access localhost/cocoon I see the
directory page; but when I
>access localhost/cocoon_dev (the second instance, set up with intentions of
creating a Cocoon
>instance with minimal overhead for my webapp) I get a 404 error. This tells
me that something is
>amiss (I think).

I think you are looking for a so called "minimal" install. This includes the
requirements of Cocoon but does not include all the other stuff. See the
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/ (thanks to Geoff Howard) site for more info. I
found the page rather hidden away being a link under "Main, For Beginners,
Set up cocoon in 15 minutes, [scroll down] MinimalCocoonConfiguration" so
here's a direct link:
http://wiki.cocoondev.org/Wiki.jsp?page=MinimalCocoonConfiguration. However,
as an ignorant novice I noted that this tutorial didn't go quite far enough:
having deleted all the pipelines you have to put at least one back and a
corresponding file (of course) to test whether it works or you'll just get
an error!

>Another method I have read says that the way to do it is to create a webapp
directory within
>the cocoon/mount directory and use a subsitemap.

<snip/>

>What is the best practice for this that allows the most hassle-free
deployment with the
>least opportunity for breaking the webapp in moving it from local machine
to host machine?

Don't know myself yet sorry! With my limited experience it seems that sub
apps are nice and portable but may have app specific (rather than cocoon
specific) requirements (e.g. db connection pools, logicsheets) that are set
in the main app so it kinda depends what you are doing I guess.

HTH(!)

Phil Coultard
---