I'm not sure I understand what you want to achieve. To have two cocoons on tomcat, you can simply put two war files with different names. For example, put cocoon.war and its copy under name cocoon-dev.war in webapps directory. So, you'll have two cocoons: http://localhost:8080/cocoon/ and http://localhost:8080/cocoon-dev/. When I play with settings, sometimes, I simply copy extracted cocoon directory in Tomcat's webapps folder into a different name, like /webapps/cocoon1.

There was also a thread on "minimal" cocoon deployment, maybe that's what you need to search for in this mailing list.
-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Williams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Saturday, April 05, 2003 11:02 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Newbie: Suggestions for development environment

I have created multiple Cocoon instances, but am not sure this is the best way to do it. The reason I say this, is that when I access localhost/cocoon I see the directory page; but when I access localhost/cocoon_dev (the second instance, set up with intentions of creating a Cocoon instance with minimal overhead for my webapp) I get a 404 error. This tells me that something is amiss (I think).