I know of no uses other than browser plug-ins. For microformats in general, browser plugins (or other user-agent behavior--at one point there was talk of supporting microformats in FF3 without a plugin, but it didn't make it in) are the most common use case.

I know of no way for you to auto-detect if a user-agent wants to do something COinS, and I think requiring a user to manually turn it on in some kind of OL preferences would largely defeat the purpose of it.

So it's a trade-off, at this point. Is possible interference with some screen-reading user-agents of enough concern to outweigh the potential utility of COinS?

Either way, as a bunch of us have been saying, we reccommend that you don't _limit_ your efforts to provide machine-discoverable/usable representations of your citations to COinS. I think it is useful, but not sufficient. But supporting LibX for redirection to my link resolver to retrieve library services for the citation is a VERY useful use case to me and my patrons.

Incidentally, unAPI suffers from the same potential problem with some screen-reading user-agents, being based on the <abbr> tag. Zotero uses unAPI (as well as COins), but oh well, same thing.

Apparently RDFa does not suffer from the same problems, I've heard. I don't know enough about RDFa to know for sure, or to know how hard it would be to implement a useful RDFa solution here. At present, LibX, Zotero, etc., do not, as far as I know, use RDFa. But that's the future, is my guess. There are also other methods of auto-discovery of machine-readable data, one I think suggested by Ed in this thread, that don't suffer from this problem--but also won't currently be used by LibX, Zotero, etc.

Jonathan

Michael Ang wrote:
Hmm so there's no implementation of COinS that doesn't interfere with
screen readers that have "read title tag" turned on?

It sounds like that isn't the default setting in JAWS but some people do
turn it on: http://www.standards-schmandards.com/2005/browsing-habits/

Are there automated (e.g. NOT a browser plugin) uses of COinS?  I'm not
talking theoretical use but actual bots/spiders/import scripts.  One way
we could support COinS on OL would be for COinS users to explicitly turn
it on.  Or possibly it could be automatic if we detect COinS support
(maybe it's passed in the browser agent?)

  - mang

Not that I know of.

You can say display:none, but that'll probably hide it from LibX etc too.

What is needed is a CSS @media for screen readers, like one exists for
'print'. So you could have a seperate stylesheet for screenreaders, like
you can have a seperate stylesheet for print. That would be the right
way to do it.

But doesn't exist.

Jonathan