> > bas wrote:
> > >instead of a umode +a, maybe broadcasting a short fake away string like
> > >"-"? saving on umode chars and hassle... (making the "is away" remote
> > >whois only must be done first anyway)
> >
> > Wouldn't that still leave HIS broken (since the local server and remote
> > server would return different away messages)?
>
> bas's suggestion would.  My scheme would drop the A server<->server token
> and use the M token instead.  A few more bytes than bas's scheme, but the
> advantage would be that everyone everywhere would see that the user is
> away, though they wouldn't be able to see the away message until they did
> a /whois <nick> <nick>
> --
> Kevin L. Mitchell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

my suggestion, as i know it, would *not* break HIS, it depends on the
details. just as it is done with the idle time, a normal whois would say
"is away", and a remote whois would say "is away: blah". but for any
away user, there needs to be sent an away token on burst.

how about the umode problem, it still needing nicks, or has that been
fixed already?