On Sun, Jun 17, 2007 at 01:08:03AM -0500, placket kidney wrote:
> I'm also wondering if I can find mention of just the prefix to the
> channel name in any RFCs out there (I sort of wonder how NOTICE ever
> got the ability to prefix a channel with a mode's symbolic character,
> since it seems like a good way to break some unaware irc clients).

I added WALLCHOPS first to 2.10 (following 2.9). The earliest notice
that I have left about it in my personal coder-com mail collection
is:

beta1.overview:* Added new command /WALLCHOPS #channel ..., or /NOTICE
@#channel ...

which is from March 1997. I obviously, I can't remember anymore
why the '@' character was choosen and put there. I am sure it was
discussed with others and tested on a few important existing clients
back then to see how it 'looked'. mIRC was already one of the most
important existing clients - from a list of possibilities (ie, [EMAIL
PROTECTED])
this worked best (mIRC would write the notice to the same window than
the current channel). Another client that certainly will have been
tested was ircii - as that was the client that I used myself, as did
a lot of other UNIX users. So, the reason this particular format was
chosen was because from a number of possible options, it turned out
to work (look) best on most of the popular clients in 1997.

I still have an article that I wrote for the users in August 1997
or so, about the release of 2.10.00 (this article appear to not
be on the net anymore). The part about @#channel says:

There have been done several things to restrict and decrease bandwidth
usage:
[...]
4) Mass messaging has been restricted:  You now can not sent messages
   too many different targets anymore.  This collided with the fairly
   legal scripts to sent messages to all channel operators, so a new
   command has been introduced: WALLCHOPS or NOTICE @#channel, which
   sends a message to all operators of that channel (please change your
   scripts to use this command instead: it saves a lot of bandwidth).
[...]

it says nothing about the reason for the choice, or compatibility
issues. That's all I have.

WALLVOICES was introduced much later (after I left, so after 2001),
but no doubt the reason to keep using @#channel as target was to
not introduce ANOTHER weird format. Clients were already used to
that format, so it was to most certain way to make it work. In
order to distinguish it from WALLCHOPS, the text of the message
is prefixed with a '+', I guess. I don't know if that is very
reliable though: someone with ops can send a text message that
starts with a + too. Suppose I want to paste this to all channel
ops:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+ WHO GAVE VOICE TO THAT ABUSER?! +

then it seems that that would unexpectedly look like it was sent
to everyone with a voice, and people might respond with WALLVOICES.
Okay, far fetched. But still, it's only a hint (that '+') and
the more you USE it in your client, the more it can be abused.
Fortunately, it would only be possible to be abused by channel
ops - so no real harm can be done I suppose.

--
Carlo Wood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>