Haohui,

Is the idea to compile/test with JDK7 and recommend it for runtime and stop
there? Or to start using JDK7 API stuff as well? If the later is the case,
then backporting stuff to branch-2 may break and patches may have to be
refactored for JDK6. Given that branch-2 got GA status not so long ago, I
assume it will be active for a while.

What are your thoughts on this regard?

Thanks

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 2:29 PM, Haohui Mai <h...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There have been multiple discussions on deprecating supports of JDK6 and
> moving towards JDK7. It looks to me that the consensus is that now hadoop
> is ready to drop the support of JDK6 and to move towards JDK7. Based on the
> consensus, I wonder whether it is a good time to start the migration.
>
> Here are my understandings of the current status:
>
> 1. There is no more public updates of JDK6 since Feb 2013. Users no longer
> get fixes of security vulnerabilities through official public updates.
> 2. Hadoop core is stuck with out-of-date dependency unless moving towards
> JDK7. (see
> http://hadoop.6.n7.nabble.com/very-old-dependencies-td71486.html)
> The implementation can also benefit from it thanks to the new
> functionalities in JDK7.
> 3. The code is ready for JDK7. Cloudera and Hortonworks have successful
> stories of supporting Hadoop on JDK7.
>

> It seems that the real work of moving to JDK7 is minimal. We only need to
> (1) make sure the jenkins are running on top of JDK7, and (2) to update the
> minimum required Java version from 6 to 7. Therefore I propose that let's
> move towards JDK7 in trunk in the short term.
>
> Your feedbacks are appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Haohui
>
> --