Please don't forget the mac os build on JDK 7. :)

On Fri, Apr 4, 2014 at 3:15 PM, Haohui Mai <h...@hortonworks.com> wrote:

> I'm referring to the later case. Indeed migrating JDK7 for branch-2 is more
> difficult.
>
> I think one reasonable approach is to put the hdfs / yarn clients into
> separate jars. The client-side jars can only use JDK6 APIs, so that
> downstream projects running on top of JDK6 continue to work.

It might not be as clear cut. For clients to run clean on JDK 6, not only
the client projects/artifacts but also any of their dependencies must be
free of JDK 7 code. And this obviously includes things like hadoop-common
(or any downstream dependencies for that matter).

> The HDFS/YARN/MR servers need to be run on top of JDK7, and we're free to
> use JDK7 APIs inside them. Given the fact that there're way more code in
> the server-side compared to the client-side, having the ability to use JDK7
> in the server-side only might still be a win.
>
> The downside I can think of is that it might complicate the effort of
> publishing maven jars, but this should be an one-time issue.

Could you elaborate on why it would complicate maven jar publication?
Perhaps I'm over-simplifying things, but I would have thought it could be
easily achieved by marking certain project poms with source/target 1.6 in
their maven compiler plugin configuration while upgrading the default
setting to 1.7. Do you anticipate more issues?