bq. It might not be as clear cut...

Totally agree. I think the key is that we can do the work in an incremental
way. We can only introduce JDK7 dependency on the server side. In order to
do this we need to separate the client-side code to separate jars. I've
already proposed to create a hdfs-client jar in the hdfs-dev mailing list.

bq.  I would have thought it could be easily achieved by marking certain
project poms with source/target 1.6 in their maven compiler plugin
configuration while upgrading the default setting to 1.7. Do you anticipate
more issues?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that's enough. The work should be
minimal.

~Haohui

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE