In CDH5, Cloudera encourages people to use JDK7.  JDK6 has been EOL
for a while now and is not something we recommend.

As we discussed before, everyone is in favor of upgrading to JDK7.
Every cluster operator of a reasonably modern Hadoop should do it....
whatever distro or release you run.  As developers, we run JDK7 as
well.

I'd just like to see a plan for when branch-2 (or some other branch)
will create a stable release that drops support for JDK1.6.  If we
don't have such a plan, I feel like it's too early to talk about this
stuff.

If we drop support for 1.6 in trunk but not in branch-2, we are
fragmenting the project.  People will start writing unreleaseable code
(because it doesn't work on branch-2) and we'll be back to the bad old
days of Hadoop version fragmentation that branch-2 was intended to
solve.  Backports will become harder.  The biggest problem is that
trunk will start to depend on libraries or Maven plugins that branch-2
can't even use, because they're JDK7+-only.

Steve wrote: "if someone actually did file a bug on something on
branch-2 which didn't work on Java 6 but went away on Java7+, we'd
probably close it as a WORKSFORME".

Steve, if this is true, we should just bump the minimum supported
version for branch-2 to 1.7 today and resolve this.  If we truly
believe that there are no issues here, then let's just decide to drop
1.6 in a specific future release of Hadoop 2.  If there are issues
with releasing JDK1.7+ only code, then let's figure out what they are
before proceeding.

best,
Colin