I hacked on it some more and yes, it’s very easy to detect:

* type of jira (improvement, bug, new feature, wish, task, sub-task)
* incompatible or not (regardless of type)
* reviewed or not (regardless of type)

        A key question is what to do about tasks, sub-tasks, and wishes.  I
haven’t tried yet, but I’m fairly confident that sub-tasks list what the parent
is, so those can probably be handled specially.  We either need to list tasks
and wishes as what they are or, in the script, turn them into something else.

        Also added some sorting to it based upon number.  I’m not sure what
order we’re getting from JIRA now.  Last updated time is going to be wonky with
all the changes I did.  I didn’t look to see if there was a ‘resolve date’.

        It should be noted that the release note script already created
different files: a master one and one for each project.  That functionality was
kept but I just shared the master one because it was easier. ;)

https://github.com/aw-altiscale/hadoop/blob/trunk/dev-support/changes.py is the
current version if someone wants to look at it.

        We do need to have a talk about 3.x though.  Looking over the list, it
would appear that a lot of (what became) early 2.x JIRAs were marked as Fixed
against 3.x.  Probably 2/3’rd of the JIRAs showing up!  I think it may be safe
to just say “everything before date X should be set to 2.x”, but I’m not sure
of what that date would be.  Doing that would chop the 3.x change list down to
a much more realistic size, esp when compared to the manual changes file.