Wow, this happened quickly.

Owen, could you please create a Wiki describing the proposal and
cataloging infra references so others can understand the
implementation in detail? Even after reading this thread, I'm still
confused what changes this proposes and how the integration works. A
document pairing open questions with answers/workarounds would help
this converge.

CC'd David Nalley, who reached out ~6 months ago to ask about
Gerrit/Crucible/etc. He said that infra would be open to supporting
any of these tools, but they'll want to study what's required.
Further, they don't want to support *all* these tools, so if there are
projects other than Hadoop that want to be part of an experimental
program, we should collectively pick one and work with infra to ensure
the foundation's criteria are satisfied (i.e., clear IP provenance)
and the maintenance burden is manageable.

So I think Gerrit/Crucible/whatever are on the table, with some work.
Does anyone want to take the token for asking other projects and
assembling a proposal for an alternative they're excited about? -C