It's interesting to go back to the change in bylaws in 2011 that
introduced the requirement for 3 binding +1s on a branch merge [1].  The
text of that resolution suggests that it's supportive of
commit-then-review if that's what the developers on the branch want to do.

"Branches' commit requirements are determined by the branch maintainer and
in this situation are often set up as commit-then-review."

It would also be very much against the spirit of that resolution to
combine it all down into a single patch file and get a single +1.

"As such, there is no way to guarantee that the entire change set offered
for trunk merge has had a second pair of eyes on it.  Therefore, it is
prudent to give that final merge heightened scrutiny, particularly since
these branches often extensively affect critical parts of the system.
Requiring three binding +1s does not slow down the branch development
process, but does provide a better chance of catching bugs before they
make their way to trunk."

--Chris Nauroth

[1] https://s.apache.org/iW1F