+1

From: e...@apache.org At: 09/17/19 05:48:32To:  hdfs-...@hadoop.apache.org,
mapreduce-...@hadoop.apache.org,  common-dev@hadoop.apache.org,
yarn-...@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: [DISCUSS] Separate Hadoop Core trunk and Hadoop Ozone trunk source tree

TLDR; I propose to move Ozone related code out from Hadoop trunk and
store it in a separated *Hadoop* git repository apache/hadoop-ozone.git

When Ozone was adopted as a new Hadoop subproject it was proposed[1] to
be part of the source tree but with separated release cadence, mainly
because it had the hadoop-trunk/SNAPSHOT as compile time dependency.

During the last Ozone releases this dependency is removed to provide
more stable releases. Instead of using the latest trunk/SNAPSHOT build
from Hadoop, Ozone uses the latest stable Hadoop (3.2.0 as of now).

As we have no more strict dependency between Hadoop trunk SNAPSHOT and
Ozone trunk I propose to separate the two code base from each other with
creating a new Hadoop git repository (apache/hadoop-ozone.git):

With moving Ozone to a separated git repository:

  * It would be easier to contribute and understand the build (as of now
we always need `-f pom.ozone.xml` as a Maven parameter)
  * It would be possible to adjust build process without breaking
Hadoop/Ozone builds.
  * It would be possible to use different Readme/.asf.yaml/github
template for the Hadoop Ozone and core Hadoop. (For example the current
github template [2] has a link to the contribution guideline [3]. Ozone
has an extended version [4] from this guideline with additional
information.)
  * Testing would be more safe as it won't be possible to change core
Hadoop and Hadoop Ozone in the same patch.
  * It would be easier to cut branches for Hadoop releases (based on the
original consensus, Ozone should be removed from all the release
branches after creating relase branches from trunk)

What do you think?

Thanks,
Marton

[1]: