brien colwell wrote:
Our cygwin/windows nodes are picky about the machines they work on. On
some they are unreliable. On some they work perfectly.

We've had two main issues with cygwin nodes.

Hadoop resolves paths in strange ways, so for example /dir is
interpreted as c:/dir not %cygwin_home%/dir. For SSH to a cygwin node,
/dir is interpreted as %cygwin_home%/dir. So our maintenance scripts
have to make a distinction between cygwin and linux to adjust for
Hadoop's path behavior.

That's exactly the same as any Java File instance would work on windows, new File("/dir") would map to c:/dir.

As the Ant team say in their docs
"We get lots of support calls from Cygwin users. Either it is incredibly popular, or it is trouble. If you do use it, remember that Java is a Windows application, so Ant is running in a Windows process, not a Cygwin one. This will save us having to mark your bug reports as invalid. "