Hi Michael,

Thanks for your response.  It doesn't seem to be an issue with safemode.

Even when I try the command dfsadmin -safemode get, the system hangs.  I am
unable to execute any FS shell commands other than hadoop fs -help.

I am wondering whether this an issue with communication between the daemons?
What should I be looking at there?  Or could it be something else?

When I do jps, I do see all the daemons listed.

Any other thoughts.

Thanks again and happy new year.

-Jon