Thanks Charles .. I'm running Hadoop for research to perform duplicate
detection methods. To go deeper, I need to understand what's slowing my
program, which usually starts with analyzing memory to predict best input
size for map task. So you're saying piping can help me control memory even
though it's running on VM eventually?

Thanks,
Mark