I assume you have also just tried running locally and using the jdk performance
tools (e.g. jmap) to gain insight by configuring hadoop to run absolute minimum
number of tasks?
Perhaps the discussion
http://grokbase.com/t/hadoop/common-user/11ahm67z47/how-do-i-connect-java-visual-vm-to-a-remote-task
might be relevant?