Hello,

On Wed, 05 December 2001, "Donnie Hale" wrote:

> Since HTTP Client came up, I'll ask a "just out of curiousity" question: As
> most of you know, there's another "httpclient" library at
> http://www.innovation.ch/java/HTTPClient/. I first used it in about 1996, so
> it's been around a while. I know it's not updated terribly frequently, but
> it has tons of functionality and feature support in it.
>
> So... What's the rationale behind this HTTP Client library development?

I haven't followed the development of Jakarta's HTTP Client, but you can probably find
something useful in the PROPOSAL document.

I've used Ronald's HTTP Client recently (just before I tried Jakarta's).  Even though
it's old it still had some fundamental bugs (I reported 2-3 NPE and
StringArrayOutOfBounds exceptions that were promptly fixed).
It is not clear when the new version is going to be released, although the author did
tell me it is going to be released and it is going to happen soon.

On the other hand, I've had more luck fetching pages with Ronald's HTTP Client.
Jakarta's HTTP Client seems to hang on different URLs and has no way of specifying
time out values.

Also, it looks like Ronald's HTTP Client allows people to write their own cookie and
authentication handlers, while I don't think that's the case with Jakarta's HTTP
Client (I could be wrong about this, I looked at the latter's API and code only
briefly).

Please take this with a grain of salt, I'm just a new user of both libraries, not a
developer of either of them.

Otis