I don't see it.  Attached is a simple test case that hits each of the
servers you listed. They all work fine for me.  (I also get the response I
would expect--i.e., including "HTTP/1.x" as the first part of the status
line) from a telnet session against those servers as well.)

One simple way to run the attached test is to drop it into you HttpClient
source tree at <jakarta-commons-root>/httpclient/src/test/Examples.java, and
run:

ant -Dtest.entry=Examples test

from the httpclient directory.  Do this test fail for you?  Can you provide
one that does?