Inline...

Yes, the clash is that some Avaloners believe that Commons should not
have been created, that Avalon could/should/was doing what commons is
doing.

> My understanding so far is that Avalon is a standard
> framework for server-side applications, providing a set of
> common components to assist in that framework.

Yes.

> And that Commons is a set of common components for use in any
> framework.

Yes.  But I believe that Avalon could have handled this.  But, as I have
said before, that is in the past.  Commons is here, and we all have to
live with that.

> Avalon predates Commons, but has a less bazaar like atmosphere(?).

Not really a concern.  The only concern that I would have had if Avalon
had been chosen to do the framework independent components, how
independent they would have ultimately been with an at least partial
bias toward IOC and Avalon?  That would have been a concern, but not a
problem IMHO.

> Given that the two projects share some part of their mandates
> at the moment, should they integrate their internal
> communication somewhat to ease things?

Yes, it would help.

> For example, when a new Avalon component or a new Commons
> component is added, is there any form of cross-notification?

That would be a great thing.

> Who is the Avalon representative on the Commons project, and
> who is the Commons representative on the Avalon project...

I am trying to represent Commons at Avalon as of 2 weeks ago.  I am
subscribed to avalon-dev and avalon-apps-dev.

I think that Berin and Peter are both here in Commons land representing
Avalon.

> Just ideas...

These are good ideas.  We just need to be watchful of the greater
community, not just Avalon, but Turbine, Cocoon, etc...