> Worse than using sql within a JSP, the customer turned almost their
> entire web site into a bunch of JSP pages to dynamically generate
> the content from a db.  But they only change the db 5-6 times a day.
> So their pages generate all this load and are open to all kinds of
> potential failures for what is essentially static content.  I strongly
> recommended to them that they switch it over to a publish system where
> they make changes to the db then generate the static html pages.
> But of course the customer says they don't have time to do that,
> they have something that "works".  This is for a site with 500,000
> page views per month with spikes of 6-10k page views per hour.

yesterday, just out of curiosity I conducted some simple benchmark test
which measured how many pages per second can a client retrieve.

the client was a simple java program which requested pages from a given url
in a loop and then calculated the numbers. all network delays were eliminated
just by running it on the same computer, which is PII 350, running win NT.

first I gave it an url of jsp page served by tomcat 3.2. the maximum I got was 90
pages/sec
then I gave it an url of jsp page served by resin: 196 pages/sec
on tomcat 4.0 it was: 189 pages/second
then I gave it an url of php page: 95 pages/sec
and finally I tested static html page served by apache: 208 pages/sec

of course this is not a real test, but however I got an impression that
the difference between static page and jsp (in some good container) is not that
big (of course if you don't do sql query from jsp).

--
Dmitry Skavish