Serge Knystautas wrote:

>I was just talking with a coworker about how to build some automated tests
>for our webapp, and sure enough Latka does a lot of what I was thinking.  I
>had a few other todo items I might contribute, assuming I can get my client
>to pay or can otherwise find the time.  I thought I'd bring up the ideas
>first to get some feedback on whether this is going in a good or bad
>direction:
>
>1. meta process for test definition generation/maintenance
>I'd like to define a "meta" XML file for a webapp that could declare
>something like "all HTML pages and JSPs" in this webapp should be tested.
>Then new meta process code would use that meta XML to check that the Latka
>test definition meets these requirements... it would the recurse through the
>files in a webapp and look for them in the latka test file.
>
>If there were gaps, the meta check could either a) fail with a list of pages
>that aren't included or (my preference) b) add them to the test file with
>some comments (and stop before running the latka test).  By default it could
>just require 200 status codes for those newly spotted pages.  The tester
>could then look at the bottom of the latka test file, and cut and paste the
>definitions up to suites or to more understandable places in the file, and
>otherwise flesh out the validations.

This doesn't sound like it fits in with what Latka already does; it
sounds like an external checking/generation process that's completely
outside of the functional testing. Don't get me wrong, I like the idea
of generating latka suites off other documents, but don't think it's
necessarily part of Latka.

>2. JTidy for HTML validation
>I would really like to be able to validate that the HTML in a site is well
>formed.  I've tried doing it with a servlet filter, but using Latka would
>make much more sense.  Ideally we could define the JTidy settings for a site
>and whether to test all by default, and let individual requests override
>that.

Sounds like a good custom validator, and a good fit with Latka.

>3. Better ant/junit integration
>I'd have to see what's already there, but as I use ant to do my builds
>already, I'd like to have 2 custom taskdefs that will a) do the meta
>checking that the latka tests are complete and b) run the latka test.

I use Latka with ant a lot. The user's guide (
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/latka/users-guide.html ) talks about
creating JUnit suites from a Latka Suite and running that. So b) above
is just the usual JUnit task in ant. Is there something more you'd need?

--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
http://adslgateway.multitask.com.au/developers