On 3/31/02 7:10 PM, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> From: "Geir Magnusson Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

>> On 3/28/02 11:54 AM, "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> From: "Nicola Ken Barozzi" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

>>> commons
>>> Can someone please give karma to the above developers for
> commons-sandbox?
>>>
>>> Thank you :-)
>>
>> All added to commons-sandbox to keep the vote from holding the project up.
>> Will add sylvain at end of vote (as this *has* to be a positive outcome :)
>
> Thank you. :-)

My pleasure.

>> Quick question - since you are doing XML, why not start in the xml
> sandbox?
>> (I think there is one...)
>
> AFAIK, the xml-commons charter is a bit different from the jakarta-commons
> one.
> At http://xml.apache.org/commons/ I read:
> " it will also tend to be more focused on smaller, interoperable modules of
> code and a very high degree of stability."

That was sort of the hope for commons as well... :)

> and
> "to get all xml.apache.org projects to take their xml standards oriented
> code - like DOM, SAX and JAXP - from specific marked builds of xml-commons"

Ah.  That's not too different from what we intended to do here.  The idea
was that jakarta projects, then oriented towards server-side java, were to
have commons as a 'neutral' ground for sharing components - pooling, general
utilites, bean stuff....

> Since Morphos is going to have XML  as one of many formats for file
> conversion (though initially the preferred), since it is going to use
> Jakarta POI, and since it will (hopefully :-) use many Jakarta projects, we
> thought that Jakarta Commons would have been the best solution.

Indeed.

> Because of this, I applaude the proposal to open the jakarta commons to all
> Apache committers.

That's the jakarta commons sandbox, not commons.

> --
> Nicola Ken Barozzi                   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>           - verba volant, scripta manent -
>  (discussions get forgotten, just code remains)

Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting

Uncertainty breeds confusion and confusion breeds despair. - Ceki Gulcu