From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:
>
> > Here is a short but insightful explanation of why Avalon decided to make
> > Logkit, and the reasons for using IOC (inversion of control) in logging:
> >
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=xml-cocoon-dev&m=101014079017326&w=2
>
> "Insightful" ??? I hope you are kiding.

Not at all.
I find that it gives me insight of the reasons that brought Avalon to make
their logging stuff in the first place.

I *don't* want to second any claim.

> There is no extra security, configurability or performance you get
> 'magically' by using one aproach or the other. Sandbox is
> the only thing that gives you real security - anything else
> is just a dangerous ilusion. Commons-logging and log4j
>  provide application insolation - no other application can use or
> see your log ( by conventional means, if you don't have a sandbox anything
> in the VM is completely unprotected anyway )
>
> I find the claims that by using one programming technique you'll get a
> more 'secure' application extremely dangerous and misleading. If you don't
> use the sandbox, there is _no_ protection against hacked code. NONE.
> If you use a sandbox and you understand a bit java security - it's
> pretty easy to get the same insolation regardless of the pull/push model.
>
> Besides, commons-logging allow you to switch the logger any time you want,
> so that's not a problem. That's the whole point.

Avalon logging too.

As I see it, having two nice wrappers in commons and in Avalon.
I found the commons one much easier to use, so I used that in Jakarta POI.

Choice is good for implementations, but _sucks big time_ for interfaces.

Pleeeease, can commons and Avalon stop picking at each other and make a
UNIFIED logging wrapper that can be used as push, pull, or whatever?!?

Or do you want me to add a commoncommonslogging package in the sandbox?

AFAIK, nothing prevents me from doing it.

>:-PPP

            - verba volant, scripta manent -