On 4/30/02 1:16 PM, "[EMAIL PROTECTED]" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 30 Apr 2002, Craig R. McClanahan wrote:
>
>> Vote to promote the "modeler" package from Sandbox to Commons proper
>> [X] +1 I am in favor of this action and will help
>> [ ] +0 I am in favor of this action but cannot help
>> [ ] -0 I am not in favor of this action
>> [ ] -1 I am opposed to this action and here is why:
>
> I think the text "and will help" is not needed in this case, it's just
> about promoting the component.
>
> And I believe that a sandbox component that is actively used in
> one jakarta project ( with an aproved plan of release ) shouldn't
> even need a vote to get into common proper and be released.

I think it should.

Suppose I wanted to do my own XXXX, even if there is a perfectly good one in
commons...

Take for example logger.  I had an idea, proposed it, we discussed it, and
it didn't happen. (I still have a follow-up for the list... But it's been
busy lately.)   I have no problem with this, and I think it was good to go
through the discussion.  I still don't agree 100% with all the views
expressed, but I respect all of them, and see the merits.

Now, suppose I didn't like that outcome, and did a logger copy with some
slight change, and called it TheLogger.  According to your suggestion, I
could incorporate in Velocity or make available as a component in Turbine,
drop into sandbox, and keep moving it right through to Commons.

I don't like this - I think multiple solutions to the same problem is a good
thing, but I think the community should have a chance to decide what is
appropriate for commons and has therefore must support.  I will always hope
that duplication is supported by commons as long as that duplication has a
'positive' point (different approaches to solve the same problem, for
example).  The hypothetical example above really has no positive outcome for
the community, and would be confusing to anyone looking at whats available
in commons.

I realize that in every case encountered so far, there has been no problem.
Just wanted to point out a possibility.

>> Vote to release Commons Modeler 1.0:
>> [ ] +1 I am in favor of this action and will help
>> [X] +0 I am in favor of this action but cannot help
>> [ ] -0 I am not in favor of this action
>> [ ] -1 I am opposed to this action and here is why:
>
> Can't help ( and I prefer Dynamic MBeans  )

:)

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.                                     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
System and Software Consulting