Costin Manolache wrote:
Martin Cooper wrote:

I found a few things not yet mentioned:

1) In codec\Metaphone.java, "Copyright 1997, William B. Brogden", which is
clearly a problem.

2) In scaffold, numerous instances of "Copyright (c) 2002 Synthis
Corporation.", also clearly a problem.

Acording to jakarta-commons rules, the sandbox is just a CVS repository where experiments may happen.
I see it similar with commiters using their homes or public_html
pages on jakarta - or with the commiters cvs repository.

The sandbox is open to any jakarta commiter.

The question is: do we have to police it and monitor all forms
of activities that happen on apache servers ? Because as far as I can see, there is no difference between a file placed by a jakarta commiters on his public_html or home and the files
in commons-sandbox.
We made it very clear that sandbox code can't be released,
and the fact that it is accessible using public cvs and viewcvs is similar with the public_html files.
These were my thoughts exactly, and partly why I only noticed the potential issue (probably non-issue) with jxpath, and not those in codec and scaffold. I was only looking in jakarta-commons, not jakarta-commons-sandbox.

I would propose to ask the sandbox to be removed from viewcvs
and the eventually discuss what to do about the public cvs. As a way to protect ourself. I wouldn't mind if this is voted
down :-)
Certainly a possibility, but that kinda kills the ability to create a community which is the whole point to the sandbox.

What do you think about this issue ? Any other proposed solutions ?
Shouldn't we bring this question up with the jakarta PMC? Since this is really a legal question, I would think the board, via the PMC, should have the say on how this should be handled.

michael