Hi all,

I'm going to talk about Jelly Exception
handling...again.  :)  I'd like permission to try to
weed out nearly all of our instances of
throwing/catching generic Exceptions and Throwables.
IMO explicit error handling is better than just
throwing Exception.  It makes the possible problems in
your application much more clear.  It makes it easier
to distinguish between recoverable and unrecoverable
error.  It makes it safer to change the application,
because you're aware when you introduce new types of
Exceptions to your application.  It's just a good
thing.

I'd like to try the following steps:

1) Replace the generic Exception calls from all method
signatures EXCEPT TAGS with JellyException.  In some
cases, there may be a more appropriate exception than
JellyException (e.g. InstantiationException,
ClassNotFoundException, etc.)

2) Replace the generic Exception calls in the tag
method signatues with JellyTagException, which will be
a subclass of JellyException.

3) Weed out most of the try/catch blocks in the bodies
of our methods that catch Exception or Throwable.  I
will replace them with the specific Exceptions they
catch (probably JellyException in most cases).

Steps 1 and 3 can probably be made without impacting
too many users.  Step 2, on the other hand, will
probably require changes to most of our tag
implementations in Jelly, and probably some of the
tags in Maven and Latka as well.  I'm willing to take
on as much of the Jelly and Latka work as necessary,
and I can help with the Maven tags.

I realize this is sort of a pain, but I think it's
worth doing before release.  I'd like to give it a
shot.  Comments?

- Morgan

=====
Morgan Delagrange