On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2003 15:56:34 -0500 (EST)
> From: Henri Yandell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Jakarta Commons Developers List <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>

> On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
>
> > Howdy,
> >
> > >specific to a package.  That way, I can keep an eye on what is going on
> > >throughout the group of packages, but skim the subject lines if I'm in
> > >hurry at the moment.
> >
> > This is exactly the way I work as well.
> >
> > I also wanted to add another aspect: the point of view of a user
> > searching the list archives.  It's much easier to search a single list
> > than multiple lists.  To me this is a huge plus, as I like to search the
> > archives (and frequently advise others the same) prior to asking a
> > question on the list.
>
> This is a bad point at the moment. Because all the subprojects are in one
> list, the user is unable to seaparate.

Why not -- a search that includes a criteria for "beanutils" or
"[beanutils]" is going to be quite accurate, even on a busy list like
commons-dev.  If you want to do folder-per-package, filtering on this in
the subject line works well to (because the community is pretty well
trained).

> With lots of sub-lists, the user
> could search over each list or search over all of Commons.

Do any mailing list archive sites offer cross-list searches in a single
request?  If they don't, this is a total non-starter for me.

> > This is why we have filters and folders in our mail readers, IMHO.
>
> I obviously need to keep trying to migrate to mutt.

Even pine does a pretty decent job at this :-).

> Hen

Craig