From: Craig R. McClanahan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]

> Bugzilla reports get mirrored to the COMMONS-DEV list already, so you
> don't need to do both, unless you want to discuss proposed
> solutions to an
> existing report.
>
> Specific bug reports are great.  Specific bug reports with proposed
> patches are also great.  Your bug report is fine -- it's just
> that this is
> a volunteer army here :-).

My post probably sounded like more of a complaint that it was intended to.
My concern was more that dIon (and you) spent some amount of time to discover
and diagnose a bug that I had already found.
Given that duplicated effort is generally a Bad Thing, I was questioning whether
there was a better solution. But maybe it's just dIon's fault for not checking
bugzilla :>

> As the Javadocs for BeanUtils.setProperty() try to warn you, it is
> probably *NOT* the method you want to use for the general case of
> assigning a proeprty with conversion via ConvertUtils.  You
> should really
> be using BeanUtils.copyProperty() for that (or
> BeanUtils.copyProperties()
> if you want to copy+convert an entire set of properties).
>
> Therefore, what we need to do is make copyProperty() powerful
> enough to do
> what you really need.  It sounds like that means making
> nested and indexed
> properties work (to the degree that we can), right?

Yes.
When I ran into the bug I accepted that I was using the wrong
method, but changing it to copyProperty didn't work because
I needed nested properties (which is probably why I used
setProperty in the first place [either that or a late night
hacking session]), I guess someone will probably need indexed
properties also.

> Is there anything
> else that copyProperty() needs to do?

To the best of my knowledge no, but dIon probably has a larger
set of use cases than I do.

>patches to copyProperty() would be welcome.

I might have some free cycles in the next day or so, so I'll
try and have look.

NOTICE
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may contain copyright material of
Macquarie Bank or third parties. If you are not the intended recipient of this email
you should not read, print, re-transmit, store or act in reliance on this e-mail or
any attachments, and should destroy all copies of them. Macquarie Bank does not
guarantee the integrity of any emails or any attached files. The views or opinions
expressed are the author's own and may not reflect the views or opinions of Macquarie
Bank.