There seems to be a few possibilities here. One is that the XML output uses
a DTD (internal or external) and you wish to output an entity reference in
the output. i.e. the output contains a DOCTYPE and an entity reference to an
entity defined in this DOCTYPE.

Another option could be that the Jelly script itself uses a DOCTYPE and an
entity reference, which is then expanded so that the output does not require
a DOCTYPE.

Finally using Jelly variables is kinda an alternative to entities - 'macros'
can be defined using Jelly variables & expressions.

I'm thinking in this case the former is probably whats required. So Martin's
suggestion of a new tag to output an entity reference...

    <xml:entity name="copy"/>

which under the covers would call

    XMLOutput.startEntity( "copy" );
    XMLOutput.endEntity( "copy" );

sounds a reasonable approach.

As Incze says, this would normally generate badly formed XML, unless the
output also contains a DOCTYPE declaration which includes the 'copy' entity.

James
-------
http://radio.weblogs.com/0112098/