Adam Murdoch wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Feb 2003 02:17 am, Hanasaki JiJi wrote:
>> Any comparisons on VFS vs JNDI?  seems very similar to me.
>
> They are very similar.  JNDI is a little more general: a namespace of
> Objects. VFS is a little more specific: a hierarchy of files.

The namespace of Objects is just 1/2 of JNDI ( the Context ).
The other half is objects with attributes (DirContext)- that maps very well
with files. As I mentioned in my previous post - there are few JNDI-based
VFS impl. already ( from the sample filesystem JNDI provider to the
more featured and optimized one in tomcat )

> etc).  VFS adds things that don't make sense under JNDI's more general
> model (get content as a stream, content signing, copy a tree, converting
> to/from java.io.File, etc), and does things in a way that reflects how
> files get used (as opposed to how generic namespaces of Objects get used).

Get content as stream is certainly part of JNDI. There is also a pretty
sophisticated system for conversion. The higher level utils should be
separated ( copy a tree, or more special operations on the content ).

JNDI also have a reasonably good policy-based security, federation ( nice if
you work with multiple domains with different naming conventions ).

The real issue is stable, well known API - versus some extra complexity due
to the fact that it's more generic and optimizable. Of course, stability
has 2 sides - it's good because its frozen, well known
and tested - but bad because you can't change it.

Costin