Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

>> They are very similar.  JNDI is a little more general: a namespace of
>> Objects. VFS is a little more specific: a hierarchy of files.
>>
>> VFS does not try to be as universal as JNDI does, even though there is
>> going to be plenty of overlap (find by name, create, delete, get/set
>> attribute,
>> etc).  VFS adds things that don't make sense under JNDI's more general
>> model (get content as a stream, content signing, copy a tree, converting
>> to/from java.io.File, etc), and does things in a way that reflects how
>> files get used (as opposed to how generic namespaces of Objects get
>> used).
>
> And many don't want JNDI just to use VFS, just like we use io.File.
> But I agree that a JNDI wrapper to VFS would be very cool.

JNDI is bundled with JDK1.3+ and is available to JDK1.1. It is well
documented ( books, etc ), required ( or strongly supported ) in Servlet
environments. I could say it is ubiquous. I can hardly see any reason
why someone would use a different API to use a VFS.

The only reason to chose a different API if you _implement_ a VFS is the
extra complexity ( JNDI does a pretty good job at keeping simple things
simple for _user_ ). However in the long run, the many small details that
JNDI covers and VFS doesn't might matter - I'm talking about security, the
very tricky isolation on class loaders ( java:comp ), federation,
optimizations ( caching, avoiding GC, etc ).

Costin