The code was buggy and added complexity both in and out of the
AbandonedConnectionPool.

Some would argue that recovering from programmer error is not an
appropriate role for a component like DBCP, and for what it's worth, I
think I'm probably one of those.

That said, I think changing dbcp/pool to be more compositional and less
extend-to-customize-oriented would be a good move all around, and should
make it possible to add abandoned object recovery (or abandoned object
logging, or a host of other things) as a decorator--which should make it
orthogonal to the other implementations/concerns.

- Rod <http://radio.weblogs.com/0122027/>