--- "Mark R. Diggory" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > This adds
> > significant overhead and I do not see the value in it.  The cost of the
> > additional stack operations/object creations is significant.  I ran tests
> > comparing the previous version that does direct computations using the
> double[]
> > arrays to the modified version and found an average of more than 6x
> slowdown
> > using the new implementation. I did not profile memory utilization, but
> that is
> > also a concern. Repeated tests computing the mean of a 1000 doubles 100000
> > times using the old and new implementations averaged 1.5 and 10.2 seconds,
> > resp. I do not see the need for all of this additional overhead.
> >

> If you review the code, you'll find there is no added "object creation",
> the static Variable objects calculate on double[] just as the
> Univariates did, I would have to see more substantial analysis to
> believe your claim. All thats going on here are that the Static StatUtil
> methods are delegating to individual static instances of
> UnivariateStatistics. These are instantiated on JVM startup like all
> static objects, calling a method in such an object should not require
> any more overhead than having the method coded directly into the static
> method.

Here is what I added to one of the methods in StatUtilsTest, after copying and
renaming the old version OStatUtils:

for (int j = 0; j < 10; j++) {

 startTick = System.currentTimeMillis();
 for (int i = 0; i < 100000; i++) {
   res = OStatUtils.mean(x);
   System.out.println("old: " + (System.currentTimeMillis() - startTick));
   startTick = System.currentTimeMillis();
   for (int i = 0; i < 100000; i++) {
   res = StatUtils.mean(x);
            }
            //newStats.addValue(System.currentTimeMillis() - startTick);
            System.out.println("new: " + (System.currentTimeMillis() -
startTick));
        }for (int j = 0; j < 10; j++) {

            startTick = System.currentTimeMillis();
            for (int i = 0; i < 100000; i++) {
                res = OStatUtils.mean(x);
            }
            System.out.println("old: " + (System.currentTimeMillis() -
startTick));
            //oldStats.addValue(System.currentTimeMillis() - startTick);