perhaps less so from 1.5 onwards since for non critical performance the ease
of autoboxing is hard to beat but when you are using primitives not just
because of other interface concerns but for performance/space considerations
a pure primitive implementation should be considerably better for large
sizes. An array of int[1000000] for example takes up 4 bytes per entry*
verses an Object array of Integers which takes 20 bytes per entry on
average.

This is 5 times the space! When you use short[] vs Short the difference is a
factor of 10

given that the underlying implementation of IntArrayList will almost
certainly be an array of ints this makes a lot of sense if you care about
the size of your memory footprint...

Matt

* all done on windows 1.3.1 JVM - some jvms may do things differently YMMV