the implementation is VM dependant - when creating individual primitives the
sizes often are all the same for short,float, int etc.

However an _array_ of primitives is a different matter.

If you run the following code with small numbers (1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 etc) you
will see that the toal space usage goes up in steps as it would appear 8
bytes are allocated to the arrays at a time but that it makes full use of
those bytes using 2 per short and 4 per int.

The class I use for this is below. it would be relatively simple to make it
use any Collection type but of course boxing would make it much easier to
write. Ultimately if you wish to store millions of primitives then putting
them in an array (or a whole bunch of arrays if each one is sufficiently
large to offset the wastage at the 8 byte borders) is the way to go space
wise.

I only wrote Short, Int and Long because that was all I needed the info for
at the time I wrote the class, extending it to cover the other primitives
and their wrappers isn't hard.

package quicktest.jvm;

/**
 * this tells you the size overhead for objects and primitives. it <strong>
 * depends</strong> on valid values returned from
 * Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory() and the Runtime.getRuntime().gc() will
 * clear up appropriately.<br>
 * Make sure you use identical -Xms and -Xmx values or the result can be
bogus
 */
public class SizeTester
{
    private final int objectCount;
    private String className;
    private Object hookToPreventGC;

    /**
     * Constructor for the SizeTester object
     *
     * @param count             number of Objects to create
     * @param classOrPrimitive
     */
    public SizeTester(int count, String classOrPrimitive)
    {
        objectCount = count;
        className = classOrPrimitive;
    }

    /**
     * The main program for the SizeTester class
     *
     * @param args           The command line arguments
     * @exception Exception
     */
    public static void main(String[] args)
        throws Exception
    {
        SizeTester test = null;
        if (args.length == 1) {
            test = new SizeTester(1000000, args[0]);
        } else if (args.length == 2) {
            test = new SizeTester(Integer.parseInt(args[0]), args[1]);
        } else {
            test = new SizeTester(1000000, "java.lang.String");
        }
        test.run();
    }

    private void run()
    {
        System.out.println("attempting to create " + className + "[" +
objectCount + "]");
        Runtime.getRuntime().gc();
        long start = Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory();
        System.out.println("starting with " + start + " bytes");
        hookToPreventGC = createObjectHook();
        Runtime.getRuntime().gc();
        long end = Runtime.getRuntime().freeMemory();
        System.out.println("ending with " + end + " bytes");
        long difference = start - end;
        if (difference < 0) {
            System.out.println("the memory avail went up as the jvm
increased the heap size. use -Xms -Xmx to force it to start at a fied
value");
        } else {
            double average = (start - end) / (double) objectCount;
            System.out.println("total memory usage for " + objectCount + "
instances is " + difference + " bytes");
            System.out.println(average + " bytes used per object on
average");
        }
    }

    private Object createObjectHook()
    {
        if (className.equals("short")) {
            return buildShortPrimitiveArray();
        } else if (className.equals("int")) {
            return buildIntPrimitiveArray();
        } else if (className.equals("long")) {
            return buildLongPrimitiveArray();
        } else if (className.equals("java.lang.Short")) {
            return buildShortObjectArray();
        } else if (className.equals("java.lang.Integer")) {
            return buildIntegerObjectArray();
        } else if (className.equals("java.lang.Long")) {
            return buildLongObjectArray();
        } else {
            return buildObjectArray();
        }
    }

    private Object[] buildObjectArray()
    {
        Class clazz = null;
        try {
            clazz = Class.forName(className);
        } catch (ClassNotFoundException e) {
            e.printStackTrace();
            System.err.println("only support classes with empty argument
constructors or short, int and long primitives and their wrappers");
            System.exit(-1);
        }
        Object[] objectArray = new Object[objectCount];
        for (int i = 0; i < objectCount; i++) {
            Object instance = null;
            try {
                /* if you want to play with Strings rather dangerous intern
feauture do it here
                 * instance = ((String)clazz.newInstance()).intern();
                 */
                instance = clazz.newInstance();
            } catch (Exception e) {
                e.printStackTrace();
                System.err.println("only support classes with empty argument
constructors or java.lang.Short, java.lang.Integer and java.lang.Long");
                System.exit(-1);
            }
            objectArray[i] = instance;
        }
        return objectArray;
    }

    private Object[] buildShortObjectArray()
    {
        Object[] objectArray = new Object[objectCount];
        for (int i = 0; i < objectCount; i++) {
            objectArray[i] = new Short((short) 1);
        }
        return objectArray;
    }

    private Object[] buildIntegerObjectArray()
    {
        Object[] objectArray = new Object[objectCount];
        for (int i = 0; i < objectCount; i++) {
            objectArray[i] = new Integer(i);
        }
        return objectArray;
    }

    private Object[] buildLongObjectArray()
    {
        Object[] objectArray = new Object[objectCount];
        for (int i = 0; i < objectCount; i++) {
            objectArray[i] = new Long(i);
        }
        return objectArray;
    }

    private Object buildShortPrimitiveArray()
    {
        short[] array = new short[objectCount];
        for (int i = 0; i < objectCount; i++) {
            array[i] = (short) (i % Short.MAX_VALUE);
        }
        return array;
    }

    private Object buildIntPrimitiveArray()
    {
        int[] array = new int[objectCount];
        for (int i = 0; i < objectCount; i++) {
            array[i] = i;
        }
        return array;
    }

    private Object buildLongPrimitiveArray()
    {
        long[] array = new long[objectCount];
        for (int i = 0; i < objectCount; i++) {
            array[i] = (long) i;