I've experienced the same situation, my last project had to run on Java
1.3 with no chances of getting 1.4.  I would imagine that there are
plenty of production environments without the ability to upgrade to the
newest versions, for one reason or another.

I think it makes sense to attempt to support as many users and versions
as possible, but there must be limits somewhere.  I think staying 1
version behind the latest would be a good step, but commons would lose
the ability to be used in Ant, for example, which targets 1.2.

It may be overkill, but would it ever be possible to consider creating
different branches of the code base for different Java versions?  If
something we're implementing is also implemented in Java 1.5... it would
be nice to get a version built for 1.5 which would possibly be faster
and easier to manage, using the built-in features instead of ours.

This may be a good idea, or a terrible one which creates unnecessary
complexity.  I'm not sure.  I believe that Tomcat creates releases for
1.4 and pre-1.4 versions, but I'm not sure what the reasons behind it
are.